The Churnet Valley Railway will be holding its annual Winter Steam Gala on Saturday the 23rd and Sunday the 24th of February 2013 featuring a selection of locomotives working between Froghall and Cauldon Lowe.
We are delighted to announce the first visiting locomotive for the event as being ex Southern Railways U Class No. 31806 courtesy of the Mid Hants Railway. Other locomotives set to appear include :
- United State of America Transportation Corps S160 No. 6046 making its first gala appearance on the line following restoration
- North Eastern Railway N7 No. 69621 courtesy of the East Anglia Railway Museum
- Beyer Peacock No. 6 on driver experience in Cheddleton Yard. (subject to completion of overhaul)
Attractions at the event will include :
- Intensive passenger service
- All passenger trains running between Froghall and Cauldon Lowe calling at all intermediate stations
- 27 mile round trip through the stunning Staffordshire Moorlands countryside
- Leekbrook Junction – Cauldon Lowe features 8 miles of line with gradients ranging from 1 in 40 – 1 in 61
- Double heading on certain trains
- Locomotive driving courses in Cheddleton Yard
- Freight trains operating between Froghall Junction and Leekbrook Junction
In addition to the Steam Gala U Class No. 31806 and the second visiting locomotive will be available for driver experience courses offering the unique opportunity to drive and fire the locomotive over the steeply graded line to Cauldon Lowe.
For further details and availability on the driver experience courses please contact the Motive Power Department office on 01538 361298.