Hanley Water Column Update
In 2012 the Churnet Valley Railway's charitable support body, the North Staffordshire Railway Company (1978) Ltd, were fortunate to be awarded a lottery grant as part of the much bigger Churnet Valley Living Landscape Partnership. This will see three projects completed that will help enhance the Heritage appeal of the railway for visitors to the area. Phase 1 saw the former Leek Brook Junction Signal Box be restored, and the second phase has now commenced that will see the 1870 water column from the old Hanley Station, on the original NSR Potteries Loop Line, erected at Cheddleton.
The water column is to take up a new position in full view of the passengers and passers by at the North End of Platform 2 (former Down line) near to the level crossing and bracket signal. Excavations and foundations have been completed over the last couple of weeks, and a chamber for the valve and column to be housed in has been constructed. This has also involved ensuring provisions are made for all the necessary drainage arrangements, as well as those for the eventual water supply that will come from the previously acquired braithwaite water tank from Bolton's works. The next stage is to refurbish the original valve gear for the column, as well as the column itself, before it is placed in position and a concrete cap fitted to the chamber. Work will then commence on constructing a suitable base and steelwork to accommodate the water tower on at the South end of our Western car park.
This Project is also being supported by the Moorland Partnership Board, as well as the CV LLP and NSRC.