The Churnet Valley Railway is pleased to announce the home-coming of the line’s former flagship locomotive after an absence of nearly a full decade. Originally saved by the pioneering members of the North Staffordshire Railway Company, former LMS 4F no. 4422 (BR no. 44422) was saved from the infamous Barry Scrapyard and relocated to Cheddleton in 1977.
The 4F class of locomotive was ubiquitous to North Staffordshire following their introduction from 1927, gaining the nickname of “Stoke Scots” amongst rail enthusiasts due to their dominance of services across the region during steam days.
The locomotive is not currently in working order, however a full assessment will be undertaken in the first quarter of 2020 with a view to returning it to traffic.