With the UK Lockdown now eased, come and enjoy a historic train journey providing views much different from the endless repeats and four walls many of us have been restricted to in recent times. Sit back and enjoy the ride as your stream train departs from Froghall station to journey through the sedate Churnet Valley before venturing deep into the Staffordshire Moorlands to your destination of Ipstones Loop.
This 20-mile journey will take nearly 2 hours to complete and sees you pass through Staffordshire’s hidden valley, interweaving with the River Churnet & Caldon Canal along the valley floor, passing through both Consall and Cheddleton stations. After travelling through Cheddleton Tunnel, you’ll then come to Leek Brook from where you’ll begin your climb up to the contrasting Moorland scenery as the train tackles one of the most intensive climbs on a railway in the United Kingdom.
The Churnet Valley Railway takes you on a journey back to the 1950s and 1960s, offering a break from the busy urban life onboard a heritage railway carriage behind one of our beautifully restored steam locomotives, through delightful countryside with riverside views and historic stories to uncover.
You can learn more about the history of Churnet Valley Railway and the North Staffordshire Railway Company by purchasing one of our Guidebooks available from Signals Souvenirs or onboard from one of our Travelling Ticket Inspectors. Follow your journey as we go and see if you can pick out any of the landmarks mentioned within.
Starting your journey at Froghall station, an impressive replica North Staffordshire Railway station and currently our main station. Situated in the heart of the valley and within walking distance of the idyllic Froghall Wharf.
Signals Souvenirs will be selling a selection of small keepsakes and gifts to take away, along with railway themed books and DVDs associated to North Staffordshire. Whatever your level of interest, there will be something that catches the eye.
Fancy a bite to eat during your visit? Whilst you are welcome to bring your own picnic, our Signal Tearooms will be offering a takeout service, serving freshly prepared meals and snacks for whatever your level of hunger. With our traditional fresh cakes and lite bites there is something for every taste bud. Our tearoom is also licensed, so feel free to try one of our four railway themed beers, or buy a gift pack from the Souvenir Shop to takeaway and try at home.
- Your ticket entitles you to a single round trip from Froghall to Ipstones and back.
- Due to the current restrictions, all journeys will be non-stop.
- Each traveller will have an allocated seat. Please keep to your seat throughout your visit.
- There are toilets on the trains but unfortunately no Baby changing facilities.
- Face Coverings are currently mandatory whilst travelling onboard. Dining passengers are permitted to remove this once the meal service begins.
- Buggies & Push chairs must be folded down and stored in the storage space on the train with the help of our staff.
- At the current time we are unable to accommodate wheelchairs onboard. Please call if you are of restricted mobility to discuss if we can accommodate a visit for you.
Our trains depart from Froghall station, situated on the A52, Stoke to Ashbourne road. Post Code ST10 2HA.
How is social distancing being maintained?
All seats will be allocated so that sufficient Social Distancing can be maintained. We are able to take a booking for social bubbles up to a maximum of 6, but please advise at time of booking.
Individual compartments can be booked for a minimum of 4 and maximum of 6. These are available on a first come first serviced basis.
How Far Away Are You?
- We are approximately 30-minutes from Stoke-on-Trent
- We are approximately 30-minutes from Uttoxeter
- We are approximately 40-minutes from Congleton
- We are approximately 50-minutes from Macclesfield
- We are approximately 30-minutes from Stafford
Unless indicated otherwise our services are hauled by steam locomotives. Sometimes we maybe unable to provide a steam locomotive due to circumstances outside of our control, we will operate one of our heritage diesel locomotives in its place.